Radio Far-Far

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Humour Hideaway

BBC7 is a treasure trove of great radio comedy and drama which is one of the few positive benefits of Digital Audio Broadcasting, it seems to me. Although I've been getting more into rock music a bit of late, I'd sacrifice the plethora of alternative music stations any day to listen to some of the great laughter lines of yore that emanate 24 hours a day from this station on DAB, Freeview and on-line (www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7).

BBC7 also provides a dignified resting place for voices now lost to new programming by the grim reaper. There have been two sad losses to radio humour this last week,both of whom knew how to make best use of flights of fancy and the inexhaustible comedic value of the English language. Linda Smith and John Junkin could always be guaranteed to entertain the ear and gladden the soul.

Ms Smith, who has died from cancer aged just 48, was best known as one of the panelists on Radio 4's The News Quiz. In tribute to her much-loved contributions to the long-running topical comedy contest, the network broadcast a tribute edition last weekend, which can be found on-line until 9th March (www.bbc.co.uk/radio4).

"Meanwhile, at a [radio station] not a thousand miles from". John Junkin could be heard coining this and many other catchphrases during the seventies on Radio 2's "Hello Cheeky", one of the old light programme's wittier sketch shows. I used to love listening to it in my teens; the other performers and writers were former Goodie Tim Brooke-Taylor, and Barry Cryer- both of whom became enmeshed in the timeless silliness of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue during "Cheeky's" first run.

Unlike ISIHAC, as it's become known to afficianados, or it's fore-runner I'm Sorry I'll Read that Again (under the bedclothes listening for me in my childhood!), "Hello Cheeky" for some reason gets few airings on BBC7, which is a shame. I wonder why this is: rights issues, or is the humour deemed too twee for noughties ears? Surely not, else why would BBC7's audio diet also include many a repeat of topical comedies alongside the classics such as Hancock's Half Hour and the Goons?

Whatever the reason, I hope we get a tribute soon to John Junkin too, and meanwhile -though with slight pangs of "I shouldn't like this" as a Christian- I'll enjoy waking at 4.30 a.m from time to time with "Old Harry's Game", a clever comedy set in Hell! Written by and starring Andy Hamilton, Linda Smith's diminutive co-panelist on The News Quiz, it has to be heard to be believed. Never mind, 7 is Heaven!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home